For those who are fans of DB Bistro & Oyster Bar at Marina Bay Sands, you can now enjoy some of their signature recipes at home. One such recipe is Daniel Boulud’s very own Asparagus Salad with Crispy Egg. The recipe and instructions are made easy to reproduce at home, and has careful steps each and every step of the way, bringing fine dining to your home.
DB Bistro & Oyster Bar: Asparagus Salad with Crispy Egg
The simple but delicious salad yields 6 portions, and is easily reproduced at home, and is great for an elevated salad. Main ingredients are asparagus, eggs and French ham, but you can also replace it with smoked salmon.
Asparagus Salad with Crispy Egg Recipe
For the Crispy Egg
- 2 tablespoons distilled vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ cups finely ground white breadcrumbs
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Orleans mustard
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ cup plus 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Salad & Plating
- 2 bunches (12 spears) jumbo green asparagus Lemon juice, to taste
- 6 ounces thinly sliced Jambon de Paris, prosciutto or smoked salmon
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Salt and pepper Vegetable oil, for frying Cracked black pepper
- 1 bunch chervil, washed and picked for garnish
Bread the Eggs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the vinegar and a pinch of salt, and set a bowl of ice water on the side. Boil 6 of the eggs for exactly 6 1⁄2 minutes, then remove and chill in the ice water.
- In a small bowl, whip the remaining 2 eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Divide flour and breadcrumbs into separate shallow dishes and season with salt and pepper. Carefully peel the boiled eggs under cold running water. Pat dry and coat in the flour, then the whipped egg, and finally breadcrumbs; refrigerate.
Make the Dressing
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Gently slip in the eggs (in their shell) and cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the pot and cool under cold running water for 2 minutes.
- Crack the eggs in half and scoop the insides into a blender with the mustards and vinegar and mix together.
- With the blender running on low speed, slowly drizzle in the grapeseed and olive oil. Blend until the dressing is light and fluffy and season to taste with Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Asparagus
- Trim and discard the woody stems from the both green asparagus.
- With a small paring knife, pick the small leaves from the spears.
- With butcher’s twine, tie asparagus together in bunches of four, Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Boil asparagus until tender, approximately 5 minutes for the green, (depending on the size of the asparagus).
- Using a slotted spoon, gently lift the asparagus from the pot, drain, cut and discard the twine, and place in a mixing bowl.
- While still warm, toss with lemon juice, chopped chives, and salt and pepper to taste.
Fry the Eggs
- Heat a deep fryer or pot filled 1/3 with vegetable oil to 325°F (163°C).
- When ready to serve, roll the eggs once more in breadcrumbs and deep-fry them until golden brown and crispy. Remove with a strainer and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
- For each portion, on a salad plate or bowl, arrange four asparagus stalks into a ring, with the tips facing outwards.
- Create a nest with the ham in the centre of the plate and with a serrated knife, slice off a 1/2-inch (1.25cm) cap from wider end of a fried egg to expose the yolk.
- Nestle the egg upright in the center of the ham.
- Sprinkle the yolk with cracked black pepper. Spoon a few dollops of mustard-egg dressing around the asparagus, and garnish with chervil leaves.
For more recipes from the restaurants at Marina Bay Sands, see Marina Bay Sands.